Private Education Act / EduTrust Certification Scheme
The Private Education Act was gazetted in October 2009 to provide the Council for Private Education (CPE) with the legislative powers to regulate the private education sector more effectively and improve its quality. CPE has implemented a mandatory registration scheme to ensure the standards that private education providers will need to adhere to. A quality assurance framework, known as EduTrust certification, was also introduced to provide a quality differentiation mechanism for those intending to recruit international students. (For details, please refer to www.cpe.gov.sg)
PSB Academy is amongst the first few Private Education Institutions to be awarded the new EduTrust Certification on 20th May 2010 and had successfully renewed for another 4-year term till 13th May 2018.
Under the EduTrust Certification Scheme, private education providers must adopt a Fee Protection Scheme with the CPE-appointed service providers and provide medical insurance coverage for hospitalisation and related medical treatment throughout the entire course duration.
Fee Protection Scheme (FPS)
Under the Fee Protection Scheme, PSB Academy had put in place the insurance arrangement to ensure that fees paid by students to the school are insured by a CPE-appointed service provider. The insurance protection serves to protect the students’ fees in the event a private education institution (PEI) is unable to continue operations due to insolvency, and/or regulatory closure. Furthermore, the FPS protects the student if the PEI fails to pay penalties or return fees to the student arising from judgments made against it by the Singapore courts.
The FPS is compulsory for all local and international students taking courses in PEIs with EduTrust certification. FPS applies to all courses with course duration of more than one month or 50 hours. FPS insurance premiums are paid by PSB Academy, unless otherwise stated in the Student Contract which has to be paid by the student separately.
Fee Protection Scheme by Insurance Arrangement
The following provides details on implementation of FPS.
- Students will pay FPS fees as stated in and upon signing the contract with PSB Academy.
- PSB Academy will purchase insurance within 7 working days upon collection of fee through application system of insurance provider.
- Students will receive the insurance certificate via email from the insurance provider.
- The insured period will commence from the date of payment of the 1st instalment of course fees and covers the entire duration of the programme as stated in the course outline/schedule provided during admission.
- Students who seek deferment or re-enrolment resulting in extension of the programme duration will have to pay additional premium for the course fees applicable to the extended period.
- Click here to view the Fee Protection Scheme Insurance Certificate. For more information on FPS, please visit www.cpe.gov.sg
Medical Insurance Coverage
PSB Academy had put in place the Medical Insurance under which all its students (except those specifically allowed to opt out under EduTrust Certification guidelines) will be insured by Group Hospital & Surgical Insurance.
The group hospital & surgical insurance is an expense reimbursement plan with an annual limit of up to S$20,000 per year that helps to reduce the financial burden of the insured student in the event that he/she needs to be hospitalized in government/restructured hospitals. The fee payable for the entire duration of the programme is indicated in fee schedule of the student contract. Click here to view the Medical Insurance Coverage.
Singaporean/PR and non-Student’s Pass international students who are already covered by their own medical insurance plan (annual limit not less than S$20,000) may be exempted from the plan provide by PSB Academy. Those undertaking full-time courses must produce their medical insurance policy for verification should they want to opt out. You must opt out by declaring in the PEI-Student contract or addendum to PEI-Student contract accordingly. Click here to for more information.
The following provides details on the group medical insurance coverage
- Students will pay medical insurance fees upon signing the contract with PSB Academy
- PSB Academy will include students in the group medical insurance policy with the insurer upon collection of fee
- Insured students will receive a copy of the product summary and FAQ stating the policy’s terms and conditions, the claims procedure and exclusion, etc
- The insured period is for the entire duration of the programme as stated in the course outline/schedule provided during admission. Students who seek deferment or re-enrolment resulting in extension of the programme duration will have to pay additional medical insurance fees applicable to and charged by the insurer for the extended period
- Insured student will not be covered by group hospital & surgical insurance if he/she is out of Singapore for a period exceeding ninety (90) consecutive days at a time
- Insured international student will not be covered by group hospital & surgical insurance once the Student’s Pass is cancelled by Immigration & Checkpoint Authority (ICA)
- Click here to view the Student Medical Insurance Master Certificate
Medical insurance is not applicable to part-time students and students taking courses with a duration of not more than one month or 50 hours.
To make a claim, insured students can download the Student Medical Insurance Claim Form here and submit the completed form to Student Affairs (Block E-103).
The PEI-Student Contract clearly states the following:
- Course title with modules or subjects clearly listed
- Date of commencement and completion of each intake/course
- Scheduled holidays
- Examinations and/or assignment dates for each intake/course
- Name of organisation awarding/conferring the results and certificates
- Fee collection schedule
- Refunds for withdrawal from course
For a sample of CPE approved Student Contract, please click here.
For enrolled students, please refer to the contract issued to you.