A race against time. The spirit of competition. Managing people. Discovering new ways and routes.
This is not the Amazing Race we are talking about. It is the highly competitive, sometimes complex, world of business. To help you stay ahead (and hopefully win), we have developed this degree.
The units draw on business practice, consultancy and research. This degree provides a solid understanding of the different functional areas of business and provides a good foundation for a career in management. The social science emphasis allows you to develop a thorough appreciation of business and management within a wider environment.
The University of London International Programmes
- The University of London International Programmes are the longest standing flexible and distance learning programmes in the world. Formerly known as the External System, these programmes have been available to students since 1858.
- The University of London International Programmes make the internationally renowned awards of the University of London accessible to students across the globe.
- The Colleges of the University of London and the University of London International Academy collaborate to deliver the University of London International Programmes.
- Students studying with the University of London International Programmes are awarded a University of London degree on successful completion of their studies.
- The academic content and assessment for the University of London International Programmes is provided by the Colleges of the University. This ensures that a University of London degree attests to the same high academic standards, irrespective of where or how a student studies.
PSB Academy is a Registered Centre for the University of London International Programmes. This means that PSB Academy has acceptable standards for the purpose of supporting students of the University of London International Programmes in preparing for their examinations.
Strengths & Advantages of the PSB Academy / University of London International Programmes
- Highly qualified teaching staff familiar with the University of London Degree syllabi
- Intensive revision classes and mock examinations
- Bridging Programme available: Relevant business diploma holders enjoy degree level exemptions
- Conveniently located, state-of-the-art new campus at Delta
- The course consists of 12 modules
- 4 modules are taught over 1 year by PSB Academy Lecturers
PSB Academy organises the University of London programmes to prepare you for the examinations leading to the Bachelor of Science (Honours) degree conferred by the University.
There are basically 3 main routes to completion depending on the student's entry level:
- Standard Route:
Students normally take a minimum of three years to obtain the degree. To fulfil the requirements of each degree, you would have to attempt at least 12 modules with a maximum of 4 modules per year. Each degree has a varying number of compulsory modules.
- Graduate Entry Route:
If you already hold a first degree, you are qualified to take this route for your second degree. You are required to take 9 modules to complete the programme.
- Access Route:
If you do not meet the above entrance requirements you may be offered the Access Route. It is designed to provide you with an alternative way to still achieve your degree in Economics, Management and Finance. You would have to take two modules and pass both in order to successfully complete the Access route. The minimum registration for the Access route is one year, the maximum is three years and you will be examined to the same standard as the Foundation units of the degrees.
On completion, you may transfer your registration to your choice of the University of London degree with credit for the modules passed.
Exemptions (Standard Route only)
You may apply for up to four modules exemption from the Foundation units. Exemptions are awarded on an automated and discretionary basis. If you already have a qualification in accounting you may apply for an exemption of up to two modules.
Course Outline for Standard Route
- Introduction to Economics
- Statistics 1 (half unit) and Mathematics 1 (half unit)
- Principles of Sociology
- Principles of Accounting
- Introduction to Business and Management
- Principles of Marketing
- Four units from Selection Group M
- Two units from any Selection Group other than F(i), F(ii)
Please click here to view the Selection Groups.
The course can be completed within 3 years. For those with exemptions, this course can be completed within 2 years.
Asessment and Examination
Assignments, class tests and mock examinations allow students sufficient practice for the University's annual examinations. The University of London examination marks account for 100% for most papers. The exception is for selected units where the coursework needs to be assessed by the University.
All regulations and requirements of BSc (Hons) programmes are governed by the University of London. You must be at least 17 years old and satisfy the General Entrance Requirements and Course Requirements set by the University.
General Entrance Requirements
To be eligible for the Standard Route, applicants must possess one of the following:
- 2 GCE ‘A' level subjects and 3 GCE ‘O' level subjects (Grade C or above)
- 3 GCE ‘A' level subjects and 1 GCE ‘O' level subjects (Grade C or above)
- PSB Advanced Diplomas in Business Studies, Commerce, Marketing and Sales Management, Quality Management or Human Resource Management
- PSB Diplomas in Business Administration, Management Accounting,and Finance or Human Resource Management (Students gaining entry through PSB diploma must be at least 19 years old. Other Diplomas from PSB Academy will be considered on a case-by-case basis)
- Polytechnic Diplomas
- Other Diplomas from Professional institutions
Graduate Entry Route
To be eligible to register for the Graduate Entry Route, candidates must have a full first degree completed in a minimum of three years on a full-time basis (or equivalent) from a university or other institution acceptable to the University of London .
Applicants must be 17 years old before 1 September in the year you first register with the University. You must also have passed a minimum of four separate GCE 'O'; Level subjects (including one in a mathematical subject and provide proof of competence in English acceptable to University of London).
Applicants are required to demonstrate that they have reached a level of competence in Mathematics equivalent to a pass (Grade C6 and above) in a mathematical subject at GCE ‘O' level.
Applicants must also provide a proof of competence in English acceptable to the University, such as a pass (Grade C6 and above) in the GCE ‘O' level English Language examinations, a minimum TOEFL score of 580 (paper based) or (237 computer based) or an overall IELTS score of 6 with a minimum of 5.5 in each band.
Diploma graduates from relevant business backgrounds may apply for exemptions for up to four foundation units. However, exemptions will be considered only for those qualifications achieved within the last five years from the time of application. Do note that an exemption application fee is applicable for those who do not qualify for automatic exemptions. Please refer to University of London prospectus for a full list of qualifications for which these exemptions are given.
PSB Academy Bridging Units
Relevant business diploma graduate may qualify for PSB Academy bridging units in Economics and/or Mathematics. Upon passing the bridging units, students will be eligible for exemptions from selected units in the degree programme. Bridging units are conducted once a year in May.
To complete a BSc degree, candidates must attempt all 12 units listed in the degree structure.
||End August every year
||May every year
Please note that all applications submitted to PSB Academy should be accompanied by photocopies of the applicant's original documents, certified by the RELC (30 Orange Grove Road, Level 3, RELC Building).
Payable to PSB Academy
|Total Course Fee (3 years)
|Per Module Fee
Graduates of PSB Academy can enjoy fee rebates for subsequent courses. Please contact your Admissions Officer for further details.
* All fees inclusive of 7% GST and subject to change annually
* Course fee excludes textbooks and fees payable to University of London
* Click here to view other charges for students
Payable to University of London
Total course fees: S$7,200.00^ consisting 12 units within 3 years completion. Subject to change without prior notice from University of London.
^ Estimated and subject to the prevailing currency exchange rates
- updated on 5 October 2009