Dr Liau Vui Kien is currently the Head of School for Engineering and Technology. He provides leadership, strategic and operational management in relation to international activity as part of the institution’s strategy for growth.
Dr Liau graduated with a Bachelor of Electrical Engineering (Hons) and PhD degree from University of Liverpool. He has academic and industrial work experience in different countries, including UK, China, Korea, Malaysia and Singapore. He is a Chartered Engineer, and is a registered lecturer of a number UK/Australia Universities, like the University of Liverpool, Coventry University, University of Nottingham, Newcastle University (Australia), Portsmouth University etc. He has extensive experience in the development of new engineering programmes and related processes in quality assurance in the academic environment.
In addition, Dr Liau is active in professional bodies such as IET and IEEE. He was also the President of Malaysian Invention and Design Society (Young section).
Aside from his responsibilities in teaching, Dr Liau contributes as a Chair of the Curriculum Review Committee and member of the Examination Board and Assessment Committee at PSB Academy.
- Doctor of Philosophy, University of Liverpool, UK, 2004
- Bachelor of Engineering (Hons) 1st class, University of Liverpool, UK, 2000
- Chartered Engineer (CEng), 2016
- Head of School, PSB Academy, 2016 - present
- Head of Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, UCSI University (Malaysia), 2014-2015
- Faculty advisor of IEEE-HKN (Mu Alpha chapter) Malaysia, 2015
- Senior Lecturer, APU University (Malaysia), 2014
- Senior Lecturer, Multimedia University (Malaysia), 2012-2013
- Lecturer, Xi’an Jiaotong Liverpool University (China), 2007-2011
- Research Engineer, Korean Electrotechnology Research Institute, 2005-2006
- Committee, IET Malaysia Local Network, 2014-2016
- President, Malaysian Invention and Design Society (Young Section), 2014 - 2015
- Executive Board Member for Society of Convergence and Integrated Research (SCIR), Korea, 2014-2015
- V K Liau, B Y Lee, K D Song and K Y Park, "Computational Investigation of Arcing Phenomena in 245kV Hybrid Circuit Breaker", Jap. J. Appl. Phys.(JJap). 46, 2007, 1674.
- V K Liau, B Y Lee, K D Song and K Y Park, "The Influence of Contact Erosion on SF6 Arc", J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 39, 2006, 2114.
- V K Liau, M T C Fang, J D Yan and A I Al-Shamma’a, "A Two-temperature Model for a Microwave Generated Argon Plasma Jet at Atmospheric Pressure", J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 36, 2003, 2774.