Dr Martin Grünert is currently the Associate Dean (Teaching and Learning) of PSB Academy, Head of School for Life and Physical Sciences, and the member of the Examination and Academic Board. He provides leadership in the teaching and learning framework for the organisation.
Dr Grünert graduated with a Bachelor of Science (Hons) and PhD in Biomedical Sciences from University of Queensland, Australia. He has extensive working experience in tissue engineering research with A*STAR in Singapore, having worked at both the Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology (IMCB) and the Institute of Medical Biology (IMB). He also has substantial teaching experience as both an adjunct lecturer with the University of Western Australia and La Trobe University in conjunction with his academic roles since joining PSB Academy in 2012.
- Doctor of Philosophy, University of Queensland, 2007
- Bachelor of Science (Hons), University of Queensland, 2003
- Head of School, PSB Academy, 2012 – Present
- Adjunct Lecturer/ Laboratory Tutor, PSB Academy, 2009 – 2012
- Research Fellow, Institute of Medical Biology (A*STAR), 2008 -2012
- Simon M. Cool, Martin Grünert, Rebecca Jackson, Huika Li, Victor Nurcombe,
Michael J. Waters. “Role of growth hormone receptor signalling in osteogenesis
from murine bone marrow progenitor cells.” Biochem Biophys Res Commun.
2005 Dec; 338(2):1048-58.
- Grünert M, Dombrowski C, Murali S, Haupt LM, Cool SM, Nurcombe V. “A
specific heparan sulfate glycosaminoglycan modulates BMP2 activity.” J Mol
Histol. 2007 Oct; 38(5):393-404. Epub 2007 Aug 8.
- Grünert M, Nucombe V, Cool SM. “Stem cell fate decisions: the role of heparan
sulfate in the control of autocrine and paracrine signals.” Curr Stem Cell Res
Ther. 2008 Jan; 3(1):1-8. Review.
- Hernandez L, Roux KJ, Wong ES, Mounkes LC, Mutalif R, Navasankari R, Rai
B, Cool S, Jeong JW, Wang H, Lee HS, Kozlov S, Grunert M, Keeble T, Jones
CM, Meta MD, Young SG, Daar IO, Burke B, Perantoni AO, Stewart CL.
“Functional coupling between the extracellular matrix and nuclear lamina by Wnt
signaling in progeria.” Dev Cell. 2010 Sep; 19(3):355-356.
- Dombrowski C, Helledie T, Ling L, Grünert M, Canning CA, Jones CM, Hui JH,
Nurcombe V, van Wijnen AJ, Cool SM. “FGFR1 signaling stimulates proliferation
of human mesenchymal stem cells by inhibiting the cyclin-dependent kinase
inhibitors p21(Waf1) and p27(Kip1).” Stem Cells. 2013 Dec; 31(12):2724-36.
- Grünert M, Tan SP, Jones CM. “A role for glycosaminoglycans in the
modulation of BMP4 mediated dorso-ventral patterning in the early Xenopus
embryo.” In preparation for submission, 2014.
- Martin Grünert, Simon M. Cool, Rebecca Jackson, Huika Li, Victor Nurcombe,
Michael J. Waters. “The role of Growth Hormone in the Control of
Osteogenesis.” Oral Presentation - Australia and New Zealand Orthopaedic
Research Society, Adelaide, Australia. 2004 Aug.
- Martin Grünert, Christian Dombrowski, Larisa M. Haupt, Murali Sadasivam,
Simon Cool, Victor Nurcombe. “Matrix HSPG directed osteoprogenitor
commitment.” Poster Presentation - Keystone Symposia, “Stem Cells”, Whistler,
Canada. 2006 Mar.