Be a Mentor
Why you should sign up?
- Want to make a difference by creating an impact to a student with your personal experience?
- Do you want to experience a rewarding and meaningful relationship with your juniors?
- Keen to give back voluntarily to the school and help a student transit from the school to the working world?
As a mentor, you will be assigned a mentee based on his or her unique developmental needs. You will be required to help individuals develop skills, competencies and the right attitude to achieve their desired learning and outcome.
Your mentee will count on you for guidance and support in the following areas:
- Career Advice
- Surviving the Working World
What is the key purposes of mentoring?
- To enable an individual to learn and develop through the transfer of knowledge, understanding and skills based on the experience of another
- To facilitate, in a given context, learning, development and performance, to help others to develop the skills, competences and attitudes to achieve the desired outcomes.
- To help individuals to develop competencies to manage their learning to fulfill their potential
- To provide support for the development of an individual in a given context
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is Mentoring Programme?
A: Mentoring Programme is a platform for our mentors, from diverse industries and background, to share their valuable work and life insights with young individuals. It also enables our students to envision a realistic perspective and be exposed to realities of the working world.
Q: How do I sign up on the programme and how much does it cost?
A: It’s FREE! Simply email to firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know your interest to be a mentor. A staff from Career Services & Engagement Team will follow up with you.
Q: What am I expected to do?
A: Mentors are expected to provide the mentee support and guidance during the 6 months period. You will work and come into agreement with mentee on development and improvement plan. It can be in the area of general career advice, information on higher studies, technical information, personal encouragement, and so on.
Q: Is the mentoring process time consuming / How long will the commitment be?
A: The mentoring will be for a period of 6 months. We would recommend for mentor and mentee to communicate with each other at least once a month. The mode of communication can be email or phone or social media platforms.
Q: What if my mentee does not respond to me / Relationship is not going well / Rise of concerns?
A: We encourage you to contact the Career Services & Engagement Team immediately and we will provide full support to resolve the situation in a positive and satisfactory manner.
Q: Are there any potential risks to me or my company?
A: No. It is not appropriate for mentors to engage in any business transactions with their mentees. The relationship should only involve the flow of general information and advice.
Q: Who should I contact for any enquiries?
A: Please feel free to drop us an email to email@example.com